Orlando Property manager Oliver Overton-Morgan loves to save money! Here he discusses ways to helps conserve on your water bill…
Conserving water to be green while lowering your monthly bill to save more “green” is a beautiful combination. Little things like this can contribute significantly to a large water bill.
- Leaky faucets can waste over 1,000 gallons a year
- Leaky toilets can waste 7,000 gallons a month
- A five-minute shower saves more water than a tub bath
- Water running while you brush your teeth or shave
- Sprinkler heads need to be adjusted to spray on the yard only
- Install a rain sensor on sprinkler system
- Pool equipment can be a hidden source of wasted water
- Turn off all the water faucets and appliances; and don’t forget the ice maker.
- Open the water meter, usually located near the sidewalk in the front of the house. You may need a water key that can be purchased from a home improvement store or possibly borrowed from a neighbor.
- Locate the dial indicating water usage. It should not be moving since all of the water is off. If it is still moving, verify that you have turned off anything that might be using water.
- If it appears to be still, make a mark with a Sharpie and wait 15 minutes. If the flow indicator has moved, you probably have a leak.
- Now that you’ve confirmed that you have a leak, you may need help in locating it. A plumber or leak specialist may be able to help you track it down and repair it.
Contact us for a recommend plumbers or handymen. As a property management company in orlando, we are used to dealing with a whole range of maintenance issues when it comes to real estate.